View Single Post

March 19th, 2013, 18:35
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
hey, I don't have a problem with the existence of uncritical fanboys, so why should they have a problem with me?

To clarify, my point was that RG didn't really need the exposure through a kickstarter. He'd have no problem getting coverage as it is. He's not Guido Henkel after all.
If he wants the multiplayer to end up being a success without relying on a publisher to provide publicity/advertising (advertising budgets can often approach the design costs of games themselves) he probably does. To have a long-lived and strong community in an online gaming space, you need both the loyal dedicated core and also a sufficient mass of more regular gamers too.

Personally I could care less about the multiplayer and you'd be right to say he doesn't need kickstarter to make the game I'm most interested in. But he doesn't do those anymore, so this seems like its his attempt at a win-win. In theory he gets to do he t things he likes most - try and create another social role-playing experience - and dedicated old-timey Ultima fans get another Ultima - as single-player as they want. I don't know how well that sort of division of interests (his and those like me who are more interested in everything except the online play) will work out in the end though. Hopefully well, but it should be interesting to watch it play out regardless.
Last edited by jhwisner; March 19th, 2013 at 18:35. Reason: sa

jhwisner

SasqWatch