View Single Post

March 22nd, 2013, 17:03
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
It seems like a fashion to announce fantasy novel writers as contributors to an rpg, but I fail to see how this can contribute to the game design. I can see that these writers can contribute to the lore, but not to the world design. A clear example is Kingdoms of Amalur with Salvatore's contribution appearing mainly as static lore presentation.

The Gothics, Fallout New Vegas, and the Spiderweb games integrate the story with the NPC, places and gameplay as part of the world and game design wonderfully without the need to static seas of text.

So I don't see the inclusion of a well known authors as an advantage compared to the good game designers which are already present in Torment.
Obviously the game is going to have a lot of writing in it. But, that's not all that writers do in video games, they also define the game world along with the direction and mood of the art and everything that constitutes making the game world appear real - you have to invent a world, before you can portray it. That's surely not too different from the role that script writers play in films. And you may not be aware of it, but Fallout New Vegas established a new record for the number of lines of voiced dialogue in a game…

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor