View Single Post

March 31st, 2013, 23:59
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
You are funny!
We were talking about multi-player versus single player in Divinity: Original Sin where single player equals offline playing.
So my comparison with SotA was correct.
I think (after initial confusion) that the main intention of SOTA *is* to be a single player game that follows on from and replicates the kind of gameplay that was in the original Ultima Series. The online bits are intended to augment that gameplay style and allow you to play it with a few friends. I don't think Original Sin is very different in this respect, since it's basically a single player game too. In fact both these games aren't really that different from say Baldur's gate, which also has a multiplayer mode - although no one would think of it as a multiplayer game.

My point is that is was a mistake for *both* Larian & RG to stress the multiplayer aspects of their games, since people are getting totally the wrong impression about the kind of games they are. On the one hand they're not attracting the MMO crowd, cos they aren't MMOs, and on the other hand they are putting off those who just want to play a single player game.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor