View Single Post

April 2nd, 2013, 15:17
Originally Posted by Kostaz View Post
What I still have trouble pinpointing is the moment/incident that caused the awakening. As far as I'm concerned the moment that would cause one was his unification with his past incarnations and most importantly the 1st one. Indeed after that happened my TNO changed-improved yet still remained very much the one I was roleplaying and I kept control of his actions/thoughts. The merging with his mortality was a much more "physical" event (at least according to the dialogue between TNO & TTO) that, to me, looked like it resulted in a take-over/acceptance rather than an awakening.
Can't dispute that reading… except that IMO it doesn't mesh with the themes and philosophical underpinnings of the game as well, and it is… well, unsatisfying.

On some Buddhism related questions, again I'll be mostly digging for information rather than arguing:

So what do those memories and habits anchor on if the stream of consciousness is independent?
The most common explanation I've come across posits a layer of mind called alayavij˝ana or "storehouse consciousness" with the capability to do just that. (Personally I find that explanation unsatisfactory.)

I'd expect you to have used the heavy rock analogy numerous times to explain such a core concept, but I have to admit it flew right over my head. Not quite sure I see the the difference, either inherent or one focused on the consequences, between an act that is a transgression against a judge or one that due to various laws of the universe results in the person acting being harmed (couldn't come up with better wording).
There is a difference IMO. With karma, there is no "mediator," just cause and consequence. With sin, the "mediator" — judge and/or redeemer — is rather crucial. In one case we have impersonal, universal patterns of cause and effect; in the other, we have an entity exercising volition and judgement.

My main issue with that interpratation, just as with the one suggested by the user Nameless one is that while it works and makes sense, it suggests that the game did not provide closure on TNO's mortality as adequate as the closure it provided to memory/personality torment. I've read discussions on even if TNO could tip the scales of the Blood War but it all feels a bit meta instead of viewing the ending as redemptive (even if unsatisfying).
Hope that makes sense.
Hm, I did think it closed that too. TNO at the final end cinematic was physically mortal again; that was kind of the whole point. He would certainly die later. In the Buddhist-mythical interpretation I proffered, being enlightened, he would at that point either attain nirvana or, should he so choose, be reborn as a bodhisattva again. In Buddhist mythology, that's pretty much the best ending you can get. (Some people do consider it a bit depressing that the only way to end suffering is to become enlightened and then die. :-p )

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO