View Single Post

April 7th, 2013, 16:50
Originally Posted by Gloo View Post
Read stuff from her many years ago but can't put the title on it. Wasn't she the lady who went along with Philip K. Dick back in their glory years ?
No idea, it was before my time. I'm discovering classics and am happy for it, because it provides for variety.

George R.R. Martin has some good reading recommendations on his blog. I have now put Conan on my list, as well as The Dying Earth, Watership Down, Gormenghast, The Once and Future King and some others. Those old books read very different from what we are used to nowadays. Fantasy has become quite sophisticated and thrilling, often branching out towards darker, gray themes — I like those a lot as well, but sometimes it's nice going back to the classic 80's/90's sort of Tolkienesque fantasy I grew up with: Magician, Wheel of Time, Shannara, Dragonlance. Luckily I still have the Belgariad before me. And if I'm tired of fantasy or historical stories, I'll return to Sci-Fi. Good times.

Currently wrapping up The Other Wind, last book in the Earthsea series. It's nice, but also more "down to earth" than the original trilogy. Before this I had fun with Tales from Earthsea, short stories and background info along the lines of the Silmarillion.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team