View Single Post

April 13th, 2013, 22:56
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
Nah, all you had to do is follow every possible path from every waypoint. Which I assume a lot of people have done because travelling simply was fun.
Please remember that discovering some (hidden) paths/caves/dungeons required a party member with high perception to be the party leader. Many people might have missed this detail or had a party member that did not meet the reqs. Many people might have also not made it through the mountains in Star Trail due to a lack of appropriate equipment and/or party member's illnesses.
And finally there is a fair share of totally random encounters that some people might have simply missed out on due to the luck of the draw (or lack thereof).
There are many possible reasons why players might have missed out on some parts of the games.

I originally played the RoA games without a guide in the 1990s. I managed to finish BoD on the second try (first time I encountered the time limit) and had no chance to finish the game. Star Trail, I got stuck on the whole Salamander plot and Lowangen part (which was quite complex and required doing things in a certain order to succeed) and so I did originally not manage to finish the game on the first try. SoR, I was able to finish with a little guidance from a gaming mag IIRC.

Later on I replayed all three games with one party that I took through the entire trilogy and I consulted the official (I think) guide books for all three parts and -following the guide books- it was quite amazing how much else there was to the games since quite a lot of stuff depends on meeting requirements and successful skill checks (= dice rolls).

These games are definitely not a play once, seen it all affair, not even for completionists since some content is dependent on being at the right place at the right time with the right party (or stat/skill set) and then some luck when the dice are rolling.

Moriendor

Spielkind