View Single Post

April 17th, 2013, 17:24
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
With a $20 Internet connection per month, a consumer buying an always online (hypothetically here) XBox must pay $240 per year to be able to use her console.
For me, the cost of an internet connection really has nothing to do with my dislike for 'always on' when it comes to single player games. Myrthos captures my position perfectly:

Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
For me the point is not so much that I'm online always. The points are that they are able to log all my activity on the console and that they want me to pay full price for the game, but not own it.
[emphasis mine]

Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
The comment about "young gamers" is unnecessary and fallacious.
I tried to make it clear that I wasn't jabbing younger players. We're all young once. We're all old once. No point in disparaging myself which is certainly not what I was trying to do with that comment. But RampantCoyote beat me to the punch clearing this up:

Originally Posted by RampantCoyote View Post
The point about younger gamers is that they haven't grown up in a gaming environment where being offline is the norm. They are the ones that are easy to convince because they don't know anything else.
I see the above point play out again and again with my two kids (7 and 10). I tell them SimCity (which they both are in love with) is primarily a single player game but requires that you MUST be online ALWAYS. They look at me like a puppy with its head tilted sideway trying to comprehend why I'm pointing that out and trying to fathom why the tone of my voice is negative about what I'm saying.

I have to explain this to them. My 10 year old gets it somewhat but if I never explained it he'd wouldn't even think about it… he would just believe, 'this is how things work.' He has little perspective because he's only 10 years old. Nothing derogatory about it - he's 10 years old for God's sake.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
Last edited by TheMadGamer; April 17th, 2013 at 17:38.

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch