View Single Post

April 18th, 2013, 14:40
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
If we're talking about Steam, there are advantages to the service. The social aspect. Cloud saves. Achievements. Now, personally, I have never used Steam, it's not installed on my machines, and I don't give a crap about cloud saves and "achievements". But if you do, and if you're willing to accept the trade-offs that come with it, fine.

Some people seem worried that Steam, or businesses following the model of Steam, could become monopolists. I agree this wouldn't be the most pleasant situation I can think of. But even now, there's some resistance fomenting against this. GOG's major selling point (now that they've ditched the 'old' monicker) is "DRM-free". It's silly to say that right now, you don't have any choice. Of course, if you want to play all games, and all of them on your own terms, that makes you a bit of a problematic customer. I don't think that in a few years from now, every game will only be playable through Steam and when you use it they install one of their employees in your bedroom, and making a Google search will require you to eat a baby's liver first. But everyone loves some doomey-doom-doom.
Just a fun fact here Steam is a Monopoly they control almost 3/4 of all digital game sales and downloads. Now if they get on the consoles oh boy that will be another story.

To get back on topic though I'm an older gamer and agree with GhanBuriGhan and Myrthos. I'm connected but I don't want to be online just to play by myself.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team