View Single Post

April 18th, 2013, 18:36
There was no such thing as an app store in 2002 when the game released, that idea was around 5 or 6 or so years away.

To monetize user generated content back in 2002 would have caused a huge uproar then and maybe even now. There's a fine line between average user generated content and a proper mod. Not everyone wants to be nickled and dimed to death.

Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
I think the thing that Atari/Bioware really missed the boat on was monetizing the massive amount of user generated content. Sure they had a few official modules you could buy, but I always figured that they should have done something like an App store where users could create content and then sell it (with them taking a piece of course). Would make a ton of money, plus really encourage some of those more ambitious campaigns to actually get finished.

Of course they would have had to have an approval process to weed out stuff where they didn't have the IP (like the Ultima remakes), but those could still have been released for free as they were.

If they had done that, I think you still could be seeing a lot of active development for the game today.

Znith

Digital Deviant