View Single Post

April 18th, 2013, 18:56
Originally Posted by Znith View Post
There was no such thing as an app store in 2002 when the game released, that idea was around 5 or 6 or so years away.
While not an app store exactly, they built in place from the beginning a method to sell their own premium modules, so the infrastructure was there.

To monetize user generated content back in 2002 would have caused a huge uproar then and maybe even now. There's a fine line between average user generated content and a proper mod. Not everyone wants to be nickled and dimed to death.
Given the prevelence of freemium games, I'd say the evidence does not support that. There is a line between a good mod and a great mod for sure, but I don't think there would have been an uproar. To be clear, I'm not saying Bioware/Atari would should have sold the user generated mods and taken all the money, but rather had something similar to how the app stores work now with them getting a cut.

I've worked on a handful of mods over the years for different games and I would definitely rather lend my time to something where there was a monetary reward, if for no other reason that the liklihood of it being finished (and in a timely manner) would have gone up exponentially.

I think its just a missed opportunity.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist