View Single Post

April 23rd, 2013, 19:47
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Might be because none of the projects violate KS TOS.
Kickstarter doesn't allow "fund your life" projects. No school costs, no training costs, no business start-up costs.

Cape was giving virtual capes to people, or stitching your name on a towel and calling it a cape for like $100 a pop, to raise money for opening a store. Not to make the towels, the project wasn't about selling the towels… no, those were the rewards, the incentives, to raise money to open a game store. Clear violation.

The KS for the 9 year old daughter was to send her to camp. Which is essentially the same thing as paying for school or training. Clear violation.

I had a friend try to start a Kickstarter to support a podcast he and his associates do, and was told "no" by Kickstarter because that's not a project but an ongoing program. Seemed very strict interpretation when web series are a go, but ongoing podcasts programs aren't. You would figure that kind of strict interpretation would be across board to be fair.

She needed less than $900 to sent her daughter to camp, but he she donation packages at the $1000 to $10,000 level. Seriously. Go look.

The mother is a con artist and she's damaging Kickstarter's reputation.

—— From Kickstarter's guidelines:
Kickstarter cannot be used to raise money for causes, whether it's the Red Cross or a scholarship, or for "fund my life" projects, like tuition or bills. (or camp)

Creators cannot promise to donate a portion of funds raised or future revenue to a cause (such as the mother promising to donate the extra $19k to fund STEM programs for girls, as good a cause as that is)

Kickstarter cannot be used to fund e-commerce, business, and social networking websites or apps. (or game stores, you know, a business)

Kickstarter cannot be used to fund software projects not run by the developers themselves. (even if you buy the "this campaign is to raise money for my daughter to make an RPG she will sell", the software project uses RPG Maker and is run by the camp, not the girl or even the girl's mother)

Kickstarter cannot be used to buy real estate. (I guess they could have rented the store front)

——

Merin

'Author'