View Single Post

April 29th, 2013, 13:58
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
A guy over at ENB has two tritans in an SLI set up but aye his resolution is insanely high. He indicated, with his custom ENB that he gets around 25-30 fps. I know some of them have 6Gigs of HR textures as well.

I found that with a ton of HR textures (I have lot) and many grass/foliage mods (especially Vurts one), slightly tweaked INI, and full graphic quality ENB settings my average FPS indoors is about 45-60+ depending on lighting and other variables.

Outdoors I average about 30-33 in non grassy areas and about 20-30 in grassy/high foliage areas. That is with shadows on high (versus ultra) and my AA set to 4. If I set the AA to 8 then my fps outside in grass drops to about 5-15 fps.

There are numerous other tweaks I could make to my INI files and a few to my ENB settings that would increase visual beauty but then my FPS comes to a halt. I suspect a Tritan would resolve that.

Do I need one? Course not :-) The point was more that I love maxing out my games and tweaking them. Just knowing the wall is there tends to be this little itch that makes me want to climb over it.

Just a sample of some things that can be done, as shown on the ENB site: http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/vi…17&start=10210

I blame it on modding which I always avoided in the past. Skyrim was my first big plunge into it. So now I am interested in modding DD:OS and looking at some other games. Mainly using mods but I have also started to dabble a little in making my own.
Sure and I get that.

But there's a huge difference between larger numbers and tangible differences in visual quality.

Much of that is subjective - but I'd say a lot of the subjective is based on fantasy perceptions rather than actual significant differences.

You could potentially take a 10-year old game and tweak numbers in a way that would bring down a Titan SLI setup no problem.

But it wouldn't actually look much better than if you tweaked it with the knowledge of what each tweak actually does.

Now, I'm not claiming you don't know what tweaks do - but something like high resolution textures are often extremely expensive for very little visual benefit. Which is why I usually pick "light" versions of high-resolution textures.

Then again, I have a monitor with 1920x1080 native resolution and I've always valued performance over very high resolution. This is without higher-res textures to compensate. Basically, I think very high resolutions = shooting yourself in the foot.

For every step up in resolution above a certain point - you get diminishing returns in visual upgrade versus performance.

However, as I said, much of that is subjective - and if the guy in question really believes his game looks that much better and he needs two Titans to make it happen - I won't stand in his way.

All I can say is that I'm a very obsessive guy when it comes to performance and high quality visuals (I've yet to meet a single person as obsessive) - but I'm also a very pragmatic person. Meaning, I don't think higher numbers are interesting. I measure everything visual in terms of tangible differences to the naked eye.

Anyway, I guess that's enough of a side-track for now

DArtagnan

Waste of potential