View Single Post

May 2nd, 2013, 13:50
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
"a main storyline for solo players"

That's what killed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for me. If you wanted to play with your friends you were relegated to a single, group dungeon and you wouldn't see a new one for another five levels or so. Basically, if you play with your friends then you have to repeat the same content a dozen times. (There were some "heroic" areas but those weren't all that big and seemed designed more for pick-up groups.)

After all those years in City of Heroes where I could play the storyline content with all my friends (whether higher or lower level), I'm really spoiled on this. I fear it may turn me off from MMOs completely.
About a year ago SOE opened a new 'legacy' server for Everquest 1, in which you would play the game as it came in 1999, with expansions added in the chronological order they came out about a month at a time. I tried it just for the heck of it, and had more fun than I've had playing any MMO in the last 5 or 6 years (since I stopped playing City of Heroes).
No 'storyline', no 'single player campaign', nothing of that. You just went out, made or formed a group and had fun. Since grouping is pretty much mandatory, everybody groups and it's much easier to find groups to play with. In all MMOs since WoW, most people play solo until max level and then raid. That grew old pretty fast for me.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is