View Single Post

May 2nd, 2013, 15:31
Originally Posted by TimtheTaxMan View Post
I agree. I too played EQ a long time ago and where that game really shined was in the group dynamics. MMOs that cater too much towards single player are always doomed to failure, because they all end up feeling very generic. This is because in an MMO, not everyone can be a hero or the central focus of the story and your personal progress really cannot impact the game-world in a meaningful way.

I think Bethesda erred in going the MMO route and it will cost them in the long run. MMOs are very difficult to get right and there is a limited market of people who can devote enough time to play them. Moreover, that market tends to be highly invested in their current game (WoW) and will not just pick up and leave no matter how good the next MMO is.

I just hope the are financially secure enough to absorb the the hit when it flops. They should have tried something different like refreshing some of their current IP. The old Doom formula is getting a bit stale and maybe they could have done something like make Doom 4 an open world game set in hell rather than a jump scare shooter.
I think more targeted (some call niche) MMO are coming and I think we will soon see another EQ type game. It won't be from a big publisher but I think small to medium size companies will do it. Camelot Unchained's success with KS has given me hopes! I just need to get some free time to play it!

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch