View Single Post

May 3rd, 2013, 06:43
DDO and Lotro are so very different…

DDO is a game that eventually revolves around you setting min-maxing goals to keep yourself committed to the game. There is little endgame, so you are forced into TRing (rerolling the same character) over and over and over for very minimal gains. That or making alts. Either way, you're doing the same mundane quests over and over again… and you (or at least I) come to a point where you ask, "what's the point - this feels more like a chore than a game."

Lotro is a different breed of game. There is significantly more exploration and simply roaming around for the sake of roaming around. If you complete some quests while doing so, all the better. What it truly suffers from is 1) lack of classes and character customization - DDO's strongpoint (and only strongpoint IMO) and 2) absolutely no variety in enemies - those orcs, goblins, uruks, and trolls you fought at level 30? They comprise 99.9% of the entire game; it gets old, so very old after a while.

As for Guild Wars 2, as much as I wanted to like it, it is very shallow and simplistic. Fashion is your endgame (but at least there IS an endgame!) and social skills amongst players are all but non-existent due to how events are set up. Yes, it's quaint that anyone can fulfill any role… but the game suffers for it. It's more of a Massive Zerg Online game than it is an MMORPG.

Those are my thoughts on the three. If I had to rank them, I'd still likely put Lotro on top despite my reservations. I can't really say which would get second place since DDO and GW2 each have their good attributes.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien