View Single Post

May 13th, 2013, 22:01
Let me just say a few things as to why I think this game is so incredibly fresh right now.

For one, it's not your typical hotbar combat system. It's fast-paced, not as action-y as GW2 it seems, but you have a fair amount of movement. It's fun using the left mouse button for all attacks and swapping weapon sets out mid-battle is very fluid and rewarding.

The dungeons. They are incredibly cool thus far. Simple dungeons like a crypt, an underground complex, an aqueduct, etc, but they are done very well. Some of them have puzzles to solve, special items to gather to proceed, etc. And they all have a Dungeon Master narrating at special moments during the adventure. A simply awesome touch that goes a long way.

The spending of Action points I believe they are called is fun, and leveling up is done well. I'm only level 2 so I can't comment too much on this, but I've used about 5 or 6 points thus far on various skills and abilities, and it's been fun.

The exploration and sight-seeing is awesome. The level design is fantastic thus far. The outdoor areas are not humungous, but they are big enough so you don't feel claustrophobic.

The graphics are beautiful. I don't feel this game is dated at all in that department. It's been very fun exploring the beautiful terrain and seeing what's around the next corner. And of course for us explorers, there are deeds and things to complete based around exploration, as well as slayer deeds, rare encounters deeds, etc.

This game seems like a perfect companion to a game like LOTRO. It's different enough to be very interesting and above all it's just fun to play.

More detailed impressions coming later, but thus far I'm very happy with this game!

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team