View Single Post

May 21st, 2013, 17:20
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
B12 deficiency is a cause of depression, being the origin of the depression.
As I just pointed out, it doesn't have to be the origin.

The origin of the B12 deficiency… Yes, I agree, the deficiency can be due to a lot of things:
certain gene mutations, lack of IF (intrinsic factor), lack of animal products in the diet, eating disorders, pancreatic insufficiency, parasites, Helicobacter pylori, coeliac disease, Crohns disease, gastritis, gastrectomy, transcobalamin II deficiency, long-term use of proton-pump inhibitors (to block stomach acid production) like esomeprazole (Nexium), lansoprazole (Prevacid) and omeprazole (Prilosec), medication like para-aminosalicylic acid (tuberculosis), neomycin (antibiotic), colchicine (gout), metformin (antidiabetic drug), Questran (cholestyramine, to lower cholesterol), nitrous oxide (sedation).
To name just a few.

Regarding the long list of causes of B12 deficiency it is easy to understand that there are a lot of people out there that may suffer from B12 deficiency, often without even knowing it. (Depression being just one of the many, many different symptoms.)
I'm aware of that, but it has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

No. B12 deficiency has to be treated right away, asap, before more damage, even permanent damage to the nervous system, is done.
Only after treatment (supplementation) has started the focus may shift to the origin of the deficiency. When no cause of the B12 deficiency is found, or when the cause of the deficiency can not be taken away, life long supplementation is needed.
Once again, I didn't say it shouldn't be treated. I'm saying, in general, that we need to look at the origin more than we're doing. I don't know why you're obsessed with B12 deficiency - but my point has nothing specifically to do with it.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential