View Single Post

May 22nd, 2013, 03:42
When were we ever supposed to be upgrading every 6 months? I've been buying every 3 or 4 years since my Atari 800XL.

As for exclusives, I note that one of them is from the makers of Alan Wake, which was also an exclusive. For a time. "Exclusive" doesn't mean what it once did, thank goodness.

Tom's Hardware has an interesting article that has me extremely confused. Those features look very much like a client/server aka thin client aka cloud based system, along the lines of OnLive. Except you don't always have to be online. You can actually go offline for some time (one interview said 24 hours) and still play. There's no way a thin client goes offline and does anything other than try to get back online again.

So what is really going on in this system? A fat client AND a fat server exchanging data when possible? Maybe it plays off the cloud when that's available and switches to just the box if the connection drops or the cloud gets overloaded??

The Microsoft Pages have more thin client sounding stuff. "Best of all, your games
and profile are stored in the cloud, so every Xbox One console behaves like your very own."
Last edited by Zloth; May 22nd, 2013 at 03:51. Reason: MS link

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?