View Single Post

May 25th, 2013, 02:19
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Fret, you don't believe the Bible is infallible, but you do believe the Pope (that word isn't in the Bible either) is? Weird.
To answer your points would take far too long right now, but I'll leave you with 2 references to read after you read Jer 31-32.

2 Tim 3:16 and Mark 7:13

There are many more, but it would take hours to explain in full.
Sorry, but none of the passages you quote refer to "The Bible", specially being that there was no such concept back when these texts were written. There was the accepted body of Old Testament scripture and that was it. Some of the gospels circulated in certain regions(i.e: Luke in Greece, John in Egypt) and the epistles of Paul were also known only regionally for quite some time. Curiously, the Mark passage you quote refers to Tradition, which is something protestants deny.

To accept the Bible to be infallible you would need to accept that the tradition and authority from which the Biblical canon came from was infallible. Being that most protestants believe that the Church was already a "pagan cabal" by early 4th century and that Constantine was the devil, I find it very funny that protestants have such notion. I imagine they would at least try to revise the canon such as your dear Luther did. Are you aware that he removed 7 books of the old testament and tried his best to remove 4 books of the NT? Seems he wasn't so sure of the "infallibility" that you cling to. I suggest you acquire a collection of apocrypha and read specially the texts which almost became part of the Bible(i.e: The Shepherd of Hermas) for some idea.

More to the point, Catholics believe that Scripture is only infallible when interpreted in light of tradition.No Catholic believes the Pope to be infallible. In the matter of fact ever since Vatican II he has been failing too much.

Sadly some people just like to shake the term "papal infalibility" around instead of taking some 5 minutes to read what it actually means. Curiously, it doesn't mean that the Pope is "infallible", except under very strict circunstances. In the matter of fact since the determination of this controversial doctrine in the 19th century, "infallible ex-cathedra declarations" has only been used once: to declare the assumption of the Holy Virgin.

FretRider

Watcher