View Single Post

June 4th, 2013, 16:01
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Hmmm, I have no own experience on MMORPG. I have shunned them for a number of reasons:

Wrong or right? I am still thinking of giving LOTRO a try, simply because I want to walk around in Middle Earth.
Reports of player griefing or simply lots of out of character chatter
I haven't found a single MMO where you can't disable "map" chat where most of these discussions happens. Playing on RP servers helps too. Griefing really depends on the game you are playing. Haven't seen much of it in LoTRO, GW2, The Secret World or DAoC. It is quite present in WoW, Age of Conan and Neverwinter Online.

The addiction potential - I don't consider myself entirely immune from obsessing over games, and MMORPG have a reputation in that respect
You'll get bored eventually, they are repetitive in nature. Most people suffering from addiction are mostly obsessing with playing with their friends or shiny loots (think achieving the virtual American Dream).

Reports of lots of grinding and enormous time requirements to really get anywhere, or to participate in the interesting aspects like guilds, high level content, etc.
Was true of older games, anything released in the last 3 years bring you to level cap in ~150 hours. Doing so, you will have seen most of what the game have to offer…

Reports that most quest content is very simple in nature, mostly fetch and kill quest.
Once again, true of older games, not that much anymore. SWTOR, GW2, The Secret World, LoTRO and DDO have more story based quests. Doesn't mean they don't have the old stuff though.

Having more single player RPGS in my ever expanding backlog than I can possibly ever play.
I hear you… /look at backlog *sigh*

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor