View Single Post

June 4th, 2013, 19:08
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Hmmm, I have no own experience on MMORPG. I have shunned them for a number of reasons:
  1. Cost of subscription - I guess this is not necessarily an issue anymore since everything is "F2P"

Most MMOs now are free to play, but if you like the game and decide to spend money on it, either by buying some form of real money currency or a subscription, it can enhance the game greatly for you.

That said, I've spent roughly $60 on LOTRO already, but I don't regret a penny of that because I really enjoyed my time spent with it.

2. Reports of player griefing or simply lots of out of character chatter

As azarhal said, you can mute those global chat channels if they seem ridiculous to you. The only time I've ever thought of doing this was when I was playing Tera. The global chat can be pretty childish and rude in that game, but I just ignore it and it's no big deal.

In every other MMO I've played, the community has been great.

3. The addiction potential - I don't consider myself entirely immune from obsessing over games, and MMORPG have a reputation in that respect

I didn't notice any addiction to these games. My interest was piqued the same way that a great single-player game would pique it.
  4. Reports of lots of grinding and enormous time requirements to really get anywhere, or to participate in the interesting aspects like guilds, high level content, etc.

I find this simply to be a misconception of the genre. Out of the 5 or so MMOs I've played thus far, I haven't noticed any unusual grinding or enormous time requirements to do stuff. Then again, the games I've played have good quest dialog so it never feels like you're just mindlessly slaughtering animals or whatever, as long as you read that quest dialog and immerse yourself in the story, it's fine.
  5. Reports that most quest content is very simple in nature, mostly fetch and kill quest.

Again, the MMOs like LOTRO, DDO, Tera, etc, have quests as interesting as any single-player RPG, if not better. You really just have to read the quest dialogs and not skip them and you should enjoy the little stories you find throughout the world. I know I do.
  6. Having more single player RPGS in my ever expanding backlog than I can possibly ever play.

True, I have a lot of that too, but I still think you should give these games a shot, because they really are worth playing. Not saying your backlog isn't worth playing too, but maybe you can make time for both genres?

Wrong or right? I am still thinking of giving LOTRO a try, simply because I want to walk around in Middle Earth.
Responses in bold.

Oh, and you should definitely try LOTRO if walking around in Middle Earth intrigues you at all. Not only is the lore exposition amazing, but the zones are great to explore and look beautiful. I took some screens you can find here, if interested in seeing some various sights from the game. http://imgur.com/a/LEVDo#0

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team