View Single Post

June 6th, 2013, 10:12
When I think about it, I did enjoy the single-player campaign in Unreal quite a bit. It wasn't on the same level as Half-Life, but it was pretty good, especially for how little effort was put into the story.

I still remember emerging from the crashed ship for the first time and seeing the waterfall, etc. and being blown away by the environment. It's a shame the plot wasn't on par with the level design.

Unreal 2 wasn't bad either, although it wasn't as impressive as the first game was for its time.

Quake on the other hand was simply mediocre. It may have been a landmark title in terms of technology and its impact on multiplayer gaming, but the single-player campaign was nothing but random levels strung together with a nonexistent plot.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Both games had the same low resolution and high resolution System Shock was completely unplayable even on the most powerful rigs (I had the most powerful "home" PC possible at the time - pretty much). But the CD version had full voice-overs which made for a huge difference.
Well I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the CD version, which wasn't released until the end of that year, also added higher resolutions which weren't present in the original floppy disk version.

JDR13

SasqWatch