View Single Post

June 8th, 2013, 13:33
Originally Posted by Ihaterpg View Post
To complete the list of positive elements listed before, a list of negative:
  • Bad graphics and in some contexts you need select a unit to know its type, not only each unit can have distinct attributes but also multiple unit types will share a similar graphic.
  • The interface design seems weak, but I haven't seen the explanation of this weakness.
  • The game seems rather heavy in micro management, I still wonder why, a guess is it's because even if fights are automatic you need organize your army precisely and each unit is different.
  • The amount of elements generates a high complexity level that will probably discourage many players, even more because the AI seems beat hard newbie players.
  • It's a… 2006 game, and sit down before to read further, it's a 50% sale, cool but it's still more than 11€ with the sale. The game was sold only on dev site during a long time and at a very high price (probably box only version). Until not so long ago when the price was quite lowered but it's not cheap for a rather old and pure indie game.

So the question : I was wondering if anybody here tried it and how they feel it in single player.
The graphics is not really bad. Hardly AAA standards, but for an indie game, I find it to be more than acceptable.

The interface is not amazing, sometimes some things that feel like they should be easy to do might take one or two clicks more than expected.

There are two things that might require a bit too much in the way of micro-management at the later stages of the game. The first is army recruiting & rituals (non-combat spells), which needs to be done by hand. When you need to recruit soldiers in 7 different provinces and also order 5 different mages to cast their rituals, every turn, it can feel like a bit too much.
The second part is army management, which looks like this:

Here you need to assign each individual solider to a commander (you can assign multiple soldiers at once), then you need to pick where on the battlefield they will start, and what their orders will be. As you can see troops are divided into groups, and you give orders to each group. For spellcasters you can pick a couple of spells that they will cast early on in the battle. Setting up an army in an efficient way can be a bit fiddly.

I could beat an easy AI on my first attempt, so it is not that hard on newbies. The game is somewhat complex though, but its complexity won't really shine through at the early parts of the game.

The game was solid through Matrix games & Shrapnel games earlier. Hence why it used to have such a high price. It is packed with content though, so while the game might look expensive for such an old game, it is still well worth the price.

This is by the way a game that is fun to play in singleplayer but it really shines when you play PBEM games.

Originally Posted by Ihaterpg View Post
[*]Quantity: There are more than 60 different nations, 1500 different units, 600 spells and 300 magic items in the game. More over there's many synergy elements making the game even more complicate to master.
Actually, that is a bit outdated. there are currently 2106 units in the game, 68 nations, more spells than I want to count (wiki does not list amount of spells, but take a look here) & 314 magic items.

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch