View Single Post

June 9th, 2013, 09:12
Originally Posted by Ihaterpg View Post
A point: you are saying single player is in fact easy but there's no difficulty setup? If it's easy at first attempt and there's no difficulty setup it will be hardly fun single player.
There are difficulty levels, but I found it to be quite easy on easy (which is the difficulty level that I would recommend a first-time player to play)

Originally Posted by Ihaterpg View Post
I can roughly imagine how tedious it is to select each unit and positioning it in various groups and have to do it each time you recruit or reorganize armies. But at least it seems building groups and then only setup groups is possible, that's better than what I vaguely imagined. For the rituals and recruiting if there's no thinking and it must be done every turn that is very boring, but if there's decisions and thinking it's not a problem.
Luckily you still have relatively limited resources, so unless you have a huge empire, you'll still not recruit a whole lot of troops each turn. I've never attempted an entire playthrough on a really huge custom map, but I would imagine that it could turn rater tedious. In my current PBEM game though, we are playing on a large map and I hold about 1/3 of the world, and I only recruit units from 2-3 provinces each turn, though on some turns I have to give orders to about 7-8 mages. In comparison I found Master of Orion 2 to be far more tedious than Dominions 3, though Dominions 3 still lacks some of the modern features that you would expect to see in a game released on this side of 2005.
Also, armies stay the way they are until you give new orders to them. It is when you design a brand new army, or split/merge armies that it can take a bit of time. I'm not good enough at the game to make the "perfect" army though, so I don't know exactly how time consuming it would actually be if I tried to do that.

Conquest of Elysium 3 is quite different from Dominions 3. They are still in the same basic genre, but comparing the two would be like comparing King's Bounty to Age of Wonders. I found CoE 3 to be good, but not outstanding (good enough for a few playthroughs), while after playing Dominions 3 in PBEM, I've been trying to get everyone I know who enjoy that kind of games to buy the game

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch