View Single Post

June 10th, 2013, 05:02
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
That is very true - PC game sales increased by 8% in 2012, and console / handheld decreased 28%.

Thanks for the correction it was actually a point I used in pushing off the 'PC gaming is dead' in another thread!

There are two questions - what gamers want and what makes business sense. Folks like EA are pushing mobile HARD because they see the opportunity for games that cost $500k to make and bring in $25 million. A 50:1 ratio is hard to get in PC and especially console gaming - on PC that game would cost $10 million and on console it would be a minimum of $50 million for a mainstream game.

And in reality the games that are selling $750 million cost >$100 to make - not even counting marketing. So I would bet that Call of Duty: Whatever Number We're On Now only has a cost to earnings ratio of ~3:1.
I can't argue the financial opportunity that IOS games offer but it does seem that there are relatively few games that reach that kind of return. It seems that the top 5% or so are making the bulk of the revenue and then you have the vast majority with only modest returns. I have no evidence to back that up, it's just speculation on my part.

Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
As for what gamers want I have plenty of Match-3 games, plenty of rehashes I would like something new and interesting on my iPad, thanks. As for PC gaming still going strong!
As an Ipad owner I can agree with that and would like to see more of it on all platforms actually.

Yes, PC is going strong. Kickstarter and extended console cycle has lead to a bit of a PC resurgence.

I know it's off topic but has anyone tried gaming on a surface pro or other full windows tablet?

sakichop

SasqWatch