View Single Post

June 10th, 2013, 07:56
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
You don't have to agree it is a simple matter of numbers. Look over the last few years - console sales numbers down, handheld sales numbers down, overall gaming industry down. And yet for iOS and Android, the growth since 2008 has been >75% every year, to the point that even with the average price of a game being <$2, the share of market has gone from marginal to a huge percentage, dominating handhelds over the last several months and capturing an increasing amount of the total market.
You don't have to agree with me either

As I said - these things wax and wane - and they go both up and down. PC games are growing - as has been pointed out to you, so there. But I'm not talking about here and now - or about trends. I don't care about trends - I just care about the big picture - and there's absolutely nothing in the big picture to suggest that tablets will EVER compete with PC and consoles when it comes to the kind of games we enjoy around here.

I'm not ruling it out - I'm just saying we've yet to see a SINGLE example after how many years of iPads?

I don't care how profitable they are or have become - because until they can satisfy the enthusiast market and the larger mainstream gaming market - they're not going to matter in the slightest as an alternative for those markets.

I know you're really impressed by what they can do - but as I've said before, we disagree about how much that is. It's as if you think the hardware can somehow, magically, sidestep the obvious and physical limitations of the platform. As if PCs and consoles don't have a ridiculous advantage when it comes to GPU power and so forth - not to mention the way you interact with games.

Look at things like the Occulus Rift and the Virtuex Omni. Can you imagine those combined with an iPad?

The future of gaming lies elsewhere my friend - and I'm not talking about casual gaming.

But that doesn't mean platforms won't eventually converge - and one day our PCs will be really, really small. But by then, we'll be talking about a different set of circumstances and our concepts will be different.

Even if the PC/console industry collapses (which I consider to be extremely unlikely) - we'll still have kickstarter and indie developers.

Not sure we disagree, as we have discussed - my whole point is that there are some good games. Whether KotOR is better on PC has absolutely no bearing on whether it is enjoyable on iPad. That question is solely based on the iPad experience.
I don't understand your point. A port of a 10 year old game is enjoyable on the iPad - and?

I don't even think it's a very good port, but that's beside the point.

What do you expect that to mean to an enthusiast gamer?

There is a larger question we have talked about wherein we wonder when we will get an iPad-only game that we look at and say wow, that is just one epic RPG that will diminish on porting elsewhere. And in the current context of gameplay I cant' see a path to that game.
Exactly, which is why I don't understand where you're coming from.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say at all.

Yes - iPad/tablets are doing extremely well for the moment. Lots and lots of shallow crappy games - and a few really neat ones - all of which has absolutely no bearing on enthusiast games. Not a single game - and it's not like the trend just started.

I'm still waiting.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential