View Single Post

June 11th, 2013, 11:21
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
To be honest, PvP could work out well in ESO given the factions and setting. What worries me is balancing. PvP tends to lead to a mess in terms of class and skill balance, which is often solved by making classes and skills generic or giving everyone similar tools. I can't stand that.
I think the issues of PvP balance tend to be blown out of proportion - and I see it more as a perception issue than a real issue.

At least for the MMOs I've played where PvP is a large part of it.

Then again, I think the PvP structure of most mainstream MMOs is horrible - and is more akin to a "game-within-a-game" sports match than anything resembling war or real combat.

If more games had war-like territorial PvP - then individual balance of classes would be less of an issue.

So, games like WoW and SWtOR are shooting themselves in the foot by focusing on sports instead of open world PvP. Sports absolutely need to be balanced - which is why they tend to sacrifice something in PvE for that to happen.

Personally, I think all abilities should simply have two potential varieties - one for PvP and one for PvE. Functionally identical - but with tweaking of balance for both avenues of gameplay.

I know some people don't really like that - but I think it's such a minor problem in the grand scheme of things.

But blaming PvP in its entirety - because developers are incompetent is a bit silly. Lots of people hate PvP on principle - without really thinking about it.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential