View Single Post

June 11th, 2013, 22:54
Well, I am German, but I voted anyway since this is an issue close to heart for me. I was born in Eastern Germany, and though I was a kid at the time, since my father escaped before reunification I know the oppressive feeling when "walls have ears". Today, our private sphere extends into the internet, and I do not want my children to grow up in a world were big brother government is not merely fiction and privacy a thing of the past.

I am all for the government limiting some freedoms, e.g. those of corporations to pollute the environment, I am for taxes being paid to build infrastructure and support health care and education, and I am not for an ubiquitous and unchecked right to bear firearms. But just as the state must set some limits to protect the people from themselves, its own power must be checked for a healthy society to exist where people can pursue their liberties without fear of oppression. The US are overstepping these bounds because of fear, sadly. I understand why they do it, but they lost perspective.

Also, obviously Edward Snowden broke national law, but in this case clearly followed higher ethics. He should be admired, not persecuted.
Last edited by coyote; June 11th, 2013 at 23:09.

coyote

Sentinel