View Single Post

June 13th, 2013, 14:43
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
What do people mean, if they talk about "story" here? The plot? The themes, context and subtext of the plot? The pacing and build up of tension to a satisying climax? The actual "writing" as in the written or spoken words? The delivery and acting of those lines by voice actors and virtual actors on screen? All of this together?
Great question, Ghan. I think the answer is, that for the most part, we don't know what we are talking about.

Seriously, though, the Rock, Paper, Shotgun article compares game stories to literature, a comparison that is highly unfair to games. As I said before, is Ulysses by James Joyce a good game?

Anyway, it seems that people mostly mean plot when they complain about or praise the story element of a game. However, as far as I'm concerned, I want as little plot as possible in a game. I want background lore, interesting characters, well developed themes, a setting with depth and atmosphere. All those qualities can be found in literature as well, the big difference being that while a book always delivers the same story, ideally a game should let players spin their own yarn as much as possible.

Again, I'm looking forward to Sui Generis.

Mr Smiley

Watchdog