View Single Post

June 18th, 2013, 10:50
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
For all the negativity on the Xbone, I have to admit it's a bitů.. silly in light of other media evolution. Not to necessarily side with MS on this one, I cringe too at the DRM shittiness, and always-on digital eyeing, and all that.

#1 - RE-SELLING GAMES.

#2 - IT CHECKS IN
I am having a hard time following much of your logic, as you seem to be randomly drifting between what YOU want and what the BROADER MARKET should want.

First off, your needs should dictate your wallet. I am a PC (and Mac/Android/iOS) gamer, so on my own I wouldn't buy either console. But my older son is a big console fan, and my younger son lesser so … but they are the reasons for the Wii, PS2 and X360.

But to your broader questions:

#1 - RE-SELLING GAMES.
There is a HUGE market in used games. GameStop owes its existence to it pretty much since it is the highest profit margin portion of their operation. Then there are sites like CAG, GameTZ, Goozex and so on that are all about buy/sell/trade video games.

So while for PC games many of us have been mostly digital for nearly a decade … in the console camp there are loads of kids still bringing a pile of games to GameStop to get $3 each for them to help fund their latest purchase.

#2 - IT CHECKS IN
Well … Steam allows an off-line mode that appears to be much more friendly than the XBOne. But I get what you are saying about the concept. But we are used to our computers being always connected.

I think that the issue is that the focus of the consoles is *still* young males 18-24, and more than ever they are still living at home or taking these to a dorm … and therefore connectivity can be an issue. And if not, there are the numbers showing that even with the XBO360 *most* consoles are used in essentially offline mode. So requiring a 24-hour check in is a step change.

And yes, this is even in households with computers connected.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch