View Single Post

June 21st, 2013, 18:25
The other day I was listening to a guy on a talk radio program who made an interesting point about one sign in particular that indicated a company was about to enter a phase of decline. I don't want to get into it to much here because the whole thing is very debatable and I also can't rearticulate all of the facts that he used. Anyway, the one sign he pointed out was when companies get very big and have lots of money, they will build a skyscraper or some kind of massive structure. He pointed out a good number of real world examples where this has happened. Two I remember off the top of my head are the Sears Towers and Enron (but he must have cited at least 10 examples over the last 50 years).

Accepting this theory as truth for a moment, it makes me wonder if a trend like this will hold true for game companies who try to make MMOs after years of making single player games. MMOs are so costly and very risky and most of them fail big time. MMOs really are the 'super structures' of game developers.

Just throwing out wild speculation but I do worry that the cost of making TESO could bring an end to the single player TES games by becoming a huge loss and a big money drain on the entire company.

After years of playing WoW I am totally done with MMOs. I won't be playing TESO but I do hope it will be at least somewhat successful just so that it doesn't become a money drain and threaten the single player IPs Bethesda cranks out.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch