View Single Post

June 22nd, 2013, 19:49
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Probably doesn't matter anyway since it's not being made by the same company.
From what I understand Zenimax is a parent company to Bethesda. So they are tethered together. If you need an example of how companies who own companies can sink the entire fleet, look no further than Big Huge Games.

I actually saw this happen a few times in the 25 years I ran my own machine shop. Some shops would grow and start acquiring other companies to vertically and/or horizontally integrate. Quite a few of those efforts crashed and burned bringing down all companies involved.

Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
But if your goal is to get more single-player games, I'd think your best bet would be for the MMO to fail miserably, not succeed. When was the last time you saw a new Ultima, Warcraft, or KotOR single-player game?
Maybe. It depends on how a company reacts to a failing MMO. If they cancel a failing MMO early on then perhaps. But if they keep trying to keep it alive it's certainly possible to drain themselves financially and then everything goes away, including single player efforts. It depends on a number of things so either of our outcomes is possible.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch