View Single Post

June 27th, 2013, 13:11
As others have said, M&M came from a tile heritage, and I think it is fair to say that it never truely figured out free-movement / realtime. Don't get me wrong, I adored MM6 and MM7 as games, and have finished every M&M game except the first, several times over. The series defined my childhood, so I don't say that lightly.

MM6 and 7 (and 8 to a lesser extent, and even 9 somewhat) had fantastic worlds to explore, levelling, secrets, puzzles, story(ish), quests, skills, trainers, items and so on. The combat, however, wasn't a patch on earlier games. I'd argue that MM2 had the "best" - nothing has ever come close to +666 devil kings or whatever!

The movement to free-roam/realtime resulted in almost arcade-like spamming of the "shoot" key, mowing down waves of palette-swapped goblins, with the odd meteor strike thrown in for mass extinction. Fun, certainly, but hard to escape a sense of sillyness which magazines tended to pick up on in poor reviews.

In terms of balancing, then, MM3-5 kept the tile movement which ensured an element of turn-based timing, with visible monsters. That latter element still made things a bit wierd (it encouraged backing off, shooting at range, and two-stepping around), but I think overall, they made the right choice in going tile-based for X. And let's not forget how wrong non-tile, first person RPG-ing can get… MM9 I'm looking at you.

Irien

Watcher