View Single Post

July 4th, 2013, 14:51
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Spellcasting with its feats and counter-spells can be pretty complex in D&D 3.5 (that goes for everything in the ruleset though - the powers that be really went overboard on its new player learning curve). I'd second Dart's recommendation on going with a fighter for at least the Original Campaign until you can get a handle on things.

Still, if you're committed to wizard, your intelligence is your lifeblood; contrastly, charisma for a sorcerer. Not only do you eventually need at least level 19 in your respective stat to cast level 9 spells, but the higher it is, the harder it is for enemies to resist your spells. You'll get a single stat increase every four levels but that doesn't mean your initial stats shouldn't be mulled over carefully. I'd recommend something like 12str/8dex/18int/16con/8cha for a wizard. You could also drop down to 16 starting int for a more balanced character.

-strength: how much damage you do in melee combat; generally how well you manage to hit in melee combat; how much you can carry!
-dexterity: tied to your armor class, provided your worn armor allows the bonus; how well you hit in ranged combat; tied to your reflex save!
-constitution: not to be ignored by anyone especially a wizard who only gets 1-4 hit points per level. For each two points of con, you also gain 1 hit point per level. Retroactive.
-wisdom: for your purposes, simply tied to your will save.
-intelligence: see above. Also determines how many skill points per level you get.
-charisma: for your purposes, will mainly be used to affect charisma-based skills such as appraise and diplomacy. (assuming you don't go sorcerer)

Bear in mind that each of the above stats don't do anything for you in 1 point increments. Associated improvements only happen at even values.

Under your skils as a wizard, you'll want to pay extra attention to spellcraft and concentration.

Lastly, I definitely do NOT recommend a sorcerer for you. Not only will you have fewer spells to experiment with but it will be more difficult to exchange them for other spells in comparison with a wizard.
Thanks a lot for the detailed breakdown and the suggested values.

Just a couple of questions: From the bit of reading that I've done both ingame and on the web I had the impression STR and CON are dump stats for casters and DEX is the one that they depend for surviving. Furthermore the built looks a tad too minmaxing, (thought starting with any one stat over 16 wasn't recommended) won't that be a problem early on? I was *thinking* of bringing everything up to 10-11 (good to know about the even values thing) and then spend the remaining on the 3 main stats
Hope that doesn't come off as too argumentative. It's meant to be inquiring.

Thanks for clearing up the Wisdom thing. Looks almost useless. I'm glad PS:T utilized it in the way it did. While I can see how the "new" skills are better from a mechanics and balancing point of view I can think of a few occasions where a [Wisdom] dialogue option could not fall under any of the 3 new skills. That is if they really didn't use it by itself in the NWNs or used it as sparsely as it looks.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher