View Single Post

July 5th, 2013, 07:54
Originally Posted by Korplem View Post
I'm particularly interested in tablets because of their potential, rather than their current limitations. It may never come to be, other tech or form factors may replace it, but I see tablets as eventually being powerful enough to replace desktops. I imagine a scenario where you could dock your tablet and use it like a traditional computer. Much like how the Ubuntu tablets are supposed to work. Of course, it would take much better hardware to get anywhere near replacing an average desktop. I have doubts that they could ever replace gaming desktops, but to the average person that wants generic computer applications — web browsing, word processors, spreadsheets — it wouldn't take much.

The current tablets, even Surface Pro, still aren't quite there yet. I think it would take syncing with a larger monitor to be usable as a desktop.
Powerful tablet docked with keyboard is basically a laptop, isn't it?

Laptops have already replaced "workstations" a long time ago for the vast majority of casual users - and even many mainstream users.

Sure, in the future - tablets will be powerful enough to do all desktop work, and they very nearly are already - but for actual work, the practical implication is that you're using a laptop. If the word "tablet" is important because you can separate it from the keyboard and the larger screen - then I'm ok with that. I'd agree we're headed in a direction that's more mobile and convenient - regardless of what we choose to call the computers.

But holding a small device in your hands and interacting only in that way will never replace PCs - at least not until voice recognition or brain signal interpretation is perfect.

Besides, it will take quite a leap to get the gaming industry to move away from the Windows platform - though I suppose it could happen if the incentive was there.

But even laptops suffer from being very inferior in performance to a workstation of a similar price level. Which means they'd have to target lower performance hardware - and that'd mean less impressive games. Nah, there's always going to be a market for games that take advantage of high-end hardware - but it might not be all that big in the future. It's already been heavily reduced from the 90s - where companies like Origin always pushed the envelope - because they didn't need to worry about consoles.
Last edited by DArtagnan; July 5th, 2013 at 12:56.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential