View Single Post

July 7th, 2013, 00:39
Well, just wrapped up Shadows of Undrentide + Hordes of the Underdark for the first time (yeah, I know, I'm just a wee bit late to the party).

Both titles had me cursing up a storm at times due to the limited party control. In spite of making use of TonyK's AI mod, it was still not possible to give even simple commands to NPC's during fights such as, "heal yourself, stupid". Additionally, with no cleric henchmen for the vast majority of SoU, it was pretty annoying at times to run into level or stat drain. So anoying in fact that I resorted to cheating in some restoration scrolls - something I rarely if ever do.

Undrentide was very by the book as far as fantasy plots go. While I found the exploration of the Netherese civilization pretty engaging, it was all fairly cliche and dull at times.

Underdark… well, quite frankly I think it's overrated. I was expecting far more give all the praise it has received. While an ok story (certainly better than SoU's), my two major gripes with this expansion stem from the loot progression (really, it felt like even the rats would drop artifacts at times) and how the story felt so disjointed. First one archenemy, then another, and finally a third. This awkwardness wasn't helped in the slightest by how you were served up throwaway henchmen with each chapter (aside from Deekin).

All in all, I don't regret my time playing these two titles but I'm definitely of the opinion that, for campaigns, NWN2 is far superior in terms of story, game progression, and party control.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien