View Single Post

July 9th, 2013, 21:20
I got the impression that there was some sentiment expressed that _playing_ traditional fantasy games may have been getting old, but from Obsidian's perspective creating them shouldn't be old because they really done many of them. Look at their IP catalog:

Star Wars
Neverwinter Nights (there's one)
Fallout
Alpha Protocol
South Park

I know that most of these guys made it big in the industry with traditional fantasy in the Baldur's Gate universe, but I actually think this is a case where traditional fantasy is actually a bit of a change-up for them at this point in time. Plus there's this feeling of "getting the band back together" and going back to their fantasy roots, which is kind of exciting.

And besides, they also appear to be looking forward to turning some of the traditional fantasy tropes on their head (wild dwarves running through the woods with bows and arrows) or at least revisiting them and applying some logic (Paladins not necessarily focused on religion, but rather on a specific cause for any particular faction).

I, for one, am stoked to see what all they come up with when they focus their creative energies on a brand new fantasy world.

Fantasm

Watchdog