View Single Post

July 11th, 2013, 15:12
Back to topic with a quote?

"I know the capacity that is there to make tyranny total in America, and we must see to it that this agency and all agencies that possess this technology operate within the law and under proper supervision, so that we never cross over that abyss. That is the abyss from which there is no return." Frank Church, chairman of the select committee on intelligence after investigating the NSA in 1975.

I realise my last post on the topic may be too much speculation and conspiracy theory, but there is a very real danger: when people just accept what E. Snowden revealed and the government institutions note that the majority of people is willing to give up their privacy for an intrinsically unknown measure of additional security, the control that is in place now will erode. And even now, there is the question whether you trust the current generation of politicians to be able and willing to effectively supervise and limit the NSA and related agencies.

Also, one should not be fooled by the NSA only intentionally spying on the online activities of foreigners: agencies collaborate, and when the NSA spies on everyone outside the US and the GCHQ on everyone including US citizens, there is still full coverage.

coyote

Sentinel