View Single Post

July 14th, 2013, 10:52
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I don't have a big problem with micromanagment, as long as there's the potential to automate most of it - which is the case in Civ 5. Also, I definitely prefer some level of micromanagment to the extremely abstract nature of the Paradox games.

I need much more tangible visual feedback than what Paradox give their players. It's like everything I do in those games is about adjusting a slider and imagine what's actually happening as numbers go up and down.

That said, I like the stronger historical flavor of EU and CK. I love that sense of real history unfolding - even if it's very, very abstract.
I think over abstraction is a reasonable criticism of Paradox games and I get this spreadsheet feeling too to some extent. I noticed in a recent live stream that Paradox are very aware of this and will be taking steps in EU4 to make decisions more visual and less dependent on fine adjustment of sliders, for instance. The trade and diplomacy systems also look to be much improved in this respect, but I don't imagine that this iteration will be the last word in this respect.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor