View Single Post

July 17th, 2013, 13:25
I'm not sure I understand what they're saying, really.

If they focus on providing a great quality experience - then there's the potential for a franchise.

The only way you're not going to have the potential for a franchise - is if you make a game that people don't want to play.

What they're really saying is that they want to focus on mainstream mass appeal - and that's been the norm for ages.

The thing about that, though, is that mainstream mass appeal is not an exact science. They're just trying to make it an exact science. You still need a great first game that people (as fickle as they are) latch on to, for whatever reason.

Take something like Bioshock. Publishers and investors had the hardest time believing in that game - because it wasn't a good match for the "AAA mainstream bullshit science" and yet it's now a very successful franchise.

Also, who would ever have believed that a "relatively" hardcore and in-depth RPG like Skyrim would outsell almost every other game out there?

Again, you just need quality and passionate developers. Once you take that and try to turn them into factory workers - you'll end up losing your franchise and ruining it in the long run.

Trouble is that the audience is slow on the uptake - and you can often get away with making several subpar sequels before people figure out they're playing perpetually inferior games. But even the mainstream audience has its limits.

Do note, though, that this doesn't include certain specific genres - like sports games and highly competitive games - as they're not so much about the games themselves - but about the subject matter or the nature of competing against others.

As for Watch Dogs - they've marketed that game like it was God descending upon the Earth to bring us joy and happiness. But unlike the masses, I prefer to reserve judgment until it's actually released.

Assassin's Creed is one of the most overrated franchises out there - and I'm saying that despite thinking AC2+ are pretty good. But they're not THAT good.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential