View Single Post

July 22nd, 2013, 16:01
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Why are murderers "bad" or "evil" if they're born that way, and have no way to change it?
I might be off base, but it seems to me that y'all have a basic difference of opinion on human nature. For MWJ, his logic holds up best if all people are crazed animals to some extent or other, with the "good" ones better able to control their instincts to conform with society. His terms of "good" and "bad" are defined by the ability to fit within society's boundaries. It's more of a true/false position than an emotional one.

Your logic holds up best if all people generally start "good" to some extent or other, and remain as such unless society screws them up. Your notions of "good" and "bad" match up better with traditional emotional ones (although I think your intent is far more utilitarian) and address the individual, ummm, individually.

I favor the former approach, but readily admit that it's foo-foo philosophy with little to no objective support that's decisive.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer