View Single Post

July 23rd, 2013, 13:20
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Nonsense, both Morrowind and Skyrim are considered extremely good by many on the Watch. Oblivion just happened to be a one off which sucked compared to both its predecessor and successor. It had nothing going for it except graphics - even the high quality voice overs were more frustrating than anything else because they kept breaking halfway through a conversation.
Exactly - for all of the mega-hype, it was a game that was in many very important ways worse than its predecessor. I never played as an archer so I can't speak to that, but as a battlemage I found both games worked well.

But in terms of everything BUT graphics - writing, plotting, characters, skills and attributes, and on and on - Morrowind was a better game. As was Gothic 2.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
As for the Radiant AI - I think the issue is how they tried to market it. It was supposed to be this super advanced AI - and people apparently expected HAL like behavior.

But if you look it at without the hype - it really WAS very sophisticated - and though you'd come across a ton of weird and inconsistent behavior - it was one of the first serious attempts at a simulating human behavior within a relatively free environment. I was quite fascinated looking at how NPCs roamed the town - and got back home, sitting down to eat - and practicing their skills.
Yeah, but no one who played the superior Gothic 2 could possibly be even remotely impressed.

So you have writing and an overall game world that is sub-par compared to Morrowind, 'Radiant' AI that is no better than a game released 4 years prior, enemy AI in a first person action game that was laughable compared to other first person games of the time, and combat that was a minor evolutionary step forward from the previous game.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch