View Single Post

July 23rd, 2013, 13:49
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I get that - but I got a new laptop after a few dozen hours of Oblivion, and started again. And guess what - I saw the same people doing the same things that I had seen before. The frantic horsemen, the people in shops and on the streets. Same, same, same.
The "impressive" part is that this relatively sophisticated and dynamic behavior is emergent. You can do stuff like poison their food, have them react naturally to attacking their spouses or pets, and so on.

Oblivion was their first attempt doing this - and the fact that the game holds together at all with a dynamic AI like this is impressive to anyone who understands what it takes to run an AI like that on limited hardware.

I tried to acknowledge that, while also noting that for my character type there wasn't a huge difference. So again it is something that depends on how you play.
Obviously so, but archery and stealth are pretty big parts of any TES game. Oblivion just did it so much better than before.

If you come from a FPS background like me the physics system was a joke - rag doll out of control - again, games a few years older did it better.
I come from all backgrounds - and the only game that might have been better in terms of sophisticated physics was Half Life 2 - and that's a totally linear and controlled environment.

Having a fully functional physics engine within a huge freeform RPG is a very big deal.

You can easily tweak physics to make them much less "out of control" - and there are mods for this.

They just released it with "over the top" settings.

Having traps and realistic trajectories - and arrows sticking into things, weighing them down was amazing. Certainly to me - and I don't think you can accuse me of not having seen what there is to see.

Also, there were 2 or 3 dungeons repeated infinitely. Which is true of pretty much everything in the game. There was almost nothing of interest. It was almost like Bethesda said 'no one plays full games, so we can just copy and paste and no one will notice' and intersperse a dozen hours of interesting stuff with tons of copy & paste fluff filler.
That's an exaggeration - and if we're talking visual variety - then Oblivion outdid Morrowind by far.

Morrowind had better item placement - but the dungeons were much more obvious cookie-cutter in terms of level design.

Very true - those few hours are the standout of the entire game.
Those 10-20 hours are fantastic, yeah.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential