View Single Post

July 26th, 2013, 11:10
Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light

Metro 2033 was a replay so I won't bother going into detail on that. I'm pretty sure I talked about it somewhere in this thread in the past. Bottom line: it's one of the better modern first-person shooters imo, and anyone who's a fan of the genre should play it.

Metro: Last Light starts up 1 year after the events that took place in Metro 2033. You again play as Artyom, but unlike Metro 2033 which was based on the novel of the same name by Dmitry Glukhovsky, this game isn't based on a novel. The writing didn't blow me away, but I thought it was above average for the genre. Afaik, the plot for Last Light was also written by Glukhovsky.

Metro 2033 was one of the more impressive games from a visual standpoint to be released in recent years, and Last Light is no different. The graphics are impressive to say the least, but they come at a price. Make sure you have higher-end graphics card if you're going to tackle this game.

If you've played Metro 2033, then Last Light won't throw too many surprises your way. It's basically more of the same which is a good thing imo. The game relies heavily on atmosphere and tension throughout, and does an excellent job of it. Like 2033, the sound effects are top notch and do a geat job of adding to the atmosphere.

The levels are well designed if somewhat linear, and there are lots of hidden nooks and crannies to discover. The attention to detail is superb, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a more convincing post-apocalyptic world in a game. I also enjoyed the little details like Artyom's watch showing the current real-world time.

The animation is also excellent and combat is tight. Many of the levels also have a stealth option that generally works well. I did think stealth was done a little better in Metro 2033 though. It seemed a bit on the easy side in Last Light. There were times when it seemed like human enemies were extremely near-sighted.

The game is a lot easier than Metro 2033. I was aware of this prior to starting though and played on Hardcore difficulty. I found that setting to be about on par with the Normal difficulty in the prequel. On the other hand, Last Light is also a lot longer than 2033 which is known for being a very short game. I'd say it's around double the length.

Overall it's a very solid game. If you're a fan of Glukhovsky's work or post-apocalyptic settings in general, you need to play it. It's a worthy sequel to Metro 2033.

I give both games an 8.5.

If I had to choose one or the other, it would be Metro 2033 by the tiniest of margins. I enjoyed them both equally, but I feel the superior enemy AI and stealth elements make 2033 slightly better despite its brevity.

JDR13

SasqWatch