View Single Post

July 27th, 2013, 08:52
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
What does "deliver" mean for you? That it's as good or better than your favourits from the last decades? Yeah, that is unlikely.
I think this is the key to a lot of the complaints about Kickstarter games. People seems to have massively inflated ideas about how much content will be delivered on such limited budgets. FTL has a lot of hours due to design, not due to content. RPGs cost so much more to develop than stuff like FPS, and Kickstarter projects are working on a fraction of what FPS are made with. I really don't think Kickstarter is capable of solely funding games with 40+ hours of gameplay that's oozing tons of reactivity, customization & depth.

I would love to see a side by side comparison of budgets of SR:R and BG 2 or KotoR. Even without adjusting for inflation, I think SR:R was working on a fraction of the resources. Comparisons next to something like Spiderweb or Eschalon would probably be better for budget size but the team size/cost and dev cycles are going to be very different.

As for a golden age, I think if you enjoy stuff like SR:R and you're willing to separate Kickstarter projects from AAA titles, and just compare them among themselves, the future looks promising.

Not saying it's impossible for something like Wasteland 2 to generally be thought of as better than Kingdoms of Amalur or another big budget title, just that it's going to be harder as they have to tightly focus their resources.
Last edited by greywolf00; July 27th, 2013 at 09:56. Reason: Spiderweb comment

greywolf00

Sentinel