View Single Post

July 27th, 2013, 23:44
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
Yes, I have heard of them. I'm not a great fan of intellectual properties though, particularly those long term persistent ones (star trek, star wars, D&Dů). I think that the best games (and the best science fiction writing) either comes up with their own original IPs or, at least, don't lean too heavily on existing work. I don't want to buy an IP, I want to buy a game with some original, thoughtful input.
You do have a point, but in my opinion some IPs are simply to great not to base games of them. In some cases this ends up giving great games (KotoR, PS:T, Baldurs Gate to name a few). In most cases however it's just a way to sell more copies of your run-of-the-mill FPS.

I am sucker for mechanics, and some board games like Warhammer and some P'n'P RPG's like DnD have great mechanics and great lore that adds alot to a my PC gaming experience when done correctly. I just wish more companies would produce games closer to the source material instead of just taking the lore and then making something totally different.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?