View Single Post

July 29th, 2013, 08:10
Originally Posted by greywolf00 View Post
I don't think Kickstarter by itself raises enough funds to do this. SR:R cost $1.8 m (which remember, doesn't actually mean $1.8 m in game assets due to Amazon/Kickstarter cuts, taxes, overhead, licenses, and salaries) plus an unknown figure from loans. When you look at what they made with limited resources I think they did a good job. But, it doesn't stack up well against other games in the genre (which even old stuff like BG 2, probably had much larger budgets). For a game with BG 2 type scope I think we'd have to see either a huge Kickstarter, a $3-4m Kickstarter sequel where a lot of the tools & assets are already in place (probably in conjunction with some profits from previous game), or Kickstarter being used in conjunction with other financial backing.
I don't think it's as much about money as you do.

I think it's about creative passion and design talent - and that's what I'm sceptical about.

You see, there's this "myth" that publishers have ruined the industry - and while I agree they're not good for creativity and art - I think it's a bit easy to blame the publishers exclusively.

The sad truth is that most developers just aren't that hungry or talented - and many of the KS projects are from people looking for a more comfortable development model, but they're not really that hungry anymore. They seem content to just reiterate the same kind of design as they used to - without really going further.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, and ToN are the great RPGs with the scope we want, but I'm not going to hold my breath (I didn't include D: OS because I'm unsure how much of a game they had before the Kickstarter).
I'll reserve judgment until those games are out. They all seem to be mostly about going back in time.

The one KS project that gives me real hope is Star Citizen. That looks to be a genuine attempt at evolving (and reviving) a genre. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, and it doesn't have to be about that much money.

I'm not so much into technical evolution as design evolution.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential