View Single Post

July 31st, 2013, 16:14
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
SOME sequels, sure, but there are many developers making a serious effort to change fundamentals.
Depends what you mean by fundamentals. EU 4 has refinements and new ideas associated with making the impact of decisions more visual - rather than moving sliders around and not being able to gauge what you are impacting, which makes Vicky 2 so hard to get into, for instance.

I really appreciate the model that Paradox and Stardock have adopted of progressively refining their ideas, and deepening the gameplay. Would very much like to see other companies adopt a similar approach, rather than the fire and forget approach most adopt with their games. What's also good is that they firmly target gamers who aren't afraid of a little complexity rather than dumbing down their games to try and appeal to everyone.

You like Civ games, which is fine, but that formula has hardly changed since Sid's original. In fact I'd probably rather play Civ or Alpha Centauri to many of the newer releases, which add little to the gameplay from my POV.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor