View Single Post

July 31st, 2013, 19:15
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I gave up after Hearts of Iron 3 - which was a huge mess upon release.
Hearts of Iron has the steepest learning curve of any of the Paradox games. I haven't played it since HOI 1, so I can't comment on the later iterations. Crusader Kings 2 OTOH is a totally different game and much more accessible.

What we are hoping for from EU 4, I think, is a game with no loss of depth (over EU 3), but with a less steep learning curve, a better interface and more immediate visual feedback on the effects of actions in the game. Perhaps some improved mechanisms for managing dispersed holdings. There is no need for a fundamental change in the genre.

As for the lack of stacking in recent Civ games. That's a step in the wrong direction, from a strategy POV because it increases micromanagement of battles; and it's a very gamey mechanism that has nothing to do with simulation. That is certainly something I'd hate to see in Paradox's grand strategy games. Besides that is hardly a "fundamental" innovation, since it's just totally obvious you can stack or not… Hex based maps are as old as war games are…
Last edited by Roq; July 31st, 2013 at 19:37.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor