View Single Post

August 3rd, 2013, 14:43
Playing Rise of the Triad, and it's pretty much the same as the original (so far - am into Episode 2 right now). Okay, I cannot destroy lamps and coins, but the enemies, power-ups (God Mode, Dog Mode, Shrooms Mode …) , sounds, music … are either exactly the same or at least the same in spirit. And the levels. At least partially. Meals can be 'cooked' by rocket launchers as in the original, and I'm really lookin forward to meeting the first incarnation of El Oscuro … I wonder if they recreated him as faithfully. Still remember how long it took me to figure out how to defeat him back then *gg*. So far I'm happy that I thought of buying this one - I'm absolutely not disappointed because it's a very faithful recreation of the original.

Somehow I had expected something similarly faithful when they first mentioned the Doom reboot (Doom 3) back then. Then Doom 3 came, which was a completely different game with a completely different atmosphere, and I was sorely disappointed. Might have been a nice game in itself, but for me it didn't capture the Doom atmosphere at all.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team